Does adequate sleep seem out of reach? Do you feel like you can’t get enough rest? Does crawling back into bed the moment you wake up in the morning seem like the best idea ever? Don’t worry – you are not alone. Pregnancy fatigue is extremely common and is something that can occur during all three trimesters. This post will explain what causes it and how you can best cope until the end of your pregnancy and beyond.
So Why Are You So Tired?
The American Pregnancy Association lists several factors that contribute to pregnancy fatigue:
- Hormonal changes – increased progesterone makes you more sleepy
- Your body is producing more blood to carry nutrients to your baby
- Blood sugar levels are lower
- Blood pressure is lower
- Emotional changes and anxiety can contribute to decreased energy
A medically-reviewed article from The Baby Center also sheds light on what causes pregnancy fatigue. Common pregnancy discomforts can definitely play a role – think lower back pain or having to use the bathroom more frequently during the night.
Nausea and vomiting can also, understandably, be exhausting.
So what’s a girl to do? Let’s explore some strategies to cope and hopefully these will help put some pep back into your step!
- Prioritize rest – perhaps this looks like going to bed an hour earlier or taking a nap during the day. Avoid fluids a few hours before bed so limit the number of times you have to use the bathroom at night (don’t you wish bladders were bigger??).
- Adjust your schedule. It’s perfectly OK to say “No” to some commitments during this time. Also, let me introduce two magic words – “Grocery Delivery”. Do whatever you can to savor the energy you have.
- Moderate exercise. You might not feel like moving your body, but trust me, a moderate walk, a gentle yoga sequence, or moderate exercise of any kind will do wonders to your energy levels.
- Eat a balanced diet. It is no surprise that the food we put into our bodies significantly determines our energy levels. Strongly consider incorporating Healthy Mama’s Boost it Up! Protein + Energy and Drink Mix into your daily meal plan. This caffeine-free protein and energy drink blend will not only help boost your energy during pregnancy and beyond into nursing, but also ease morning sickness. This drink mix consists of protein, B-Vitamins, ginger, electrolytes, and fiber.
Growing and nurturing a baby is no joke – it is hard work and, while beautiful, our bodies bear the burden. Healthy Mama Brand is here to help YOU help your body any way you can!